Tuesday 12 January 2010

The picture of Dorian Gray

'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde 1980



Lately I have been reading, well it's a huge news from my side, because I'm not that fond of reading. But there are few books that I wanted to read and I actually liked. I'm familiar with Oscar Wilde, his famous qoutes and his influence on style. In the 19th century he introduced style trough literature.
The book is really inspiring and intelligent, but though written in the 19th century it is so modern.

Recently I discoverd that there is a new movie called 'Dorian Gray', based on the novel.
You should judge for your self but after reading this great novel the movie is really a dissapointment.
http://doriangraymovie.co.uk/




Qoute's from the novel:

"Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the cave-man had known how to laugh, History would have been different."

"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies".

" I love acting. It is so much more real than life".

"The advantage of the emotions is that they lead us astray, and the advantage of science is that it is not emotional".

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it".

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written".


A qoute on fashion:
'Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months'.

About art:

"Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things, is the proper aim of Art."
" Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life"

" It is through art, and through art only, that we can realize our perfection; through art and art only that we can shield ourselves from the sordid perils of actual existence ".



Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) in New York, 1882. Picture by Napoleon Sarony (1821-1896)

No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...