Tuesday 18 October 2011

Lonneke van der Palen

Last summer one of my dearest friends, Lonneke van der Palen, graduated from KABK (Royal Academy of Arts in The Hague).
Lonneke is a very promising photographer. With her graduation project Lonneke shares with us memories of a journey she never made. During this grey autumn days it is even a greater pleasure to look at this work. Im very sure we will be hearing a lot more from her soon.

At KABK graduation expo last summer










More work is presented on her website: www.lonnekevanderpalen.com 




Encounter with Lonneke van de Palen 

BP: Can you tell us something about your graduation project?
LvdP: My project Souvenir consists of memories of a journey never made. With imagination as the main ingredient, one can transpose themselves in any imaginable place or culture. Photography is widespread and such a commonplace where clichés are created. People in their turn make pictures to meet those clichés. The posing in stunning landscapes, sunsets, wildlife, exotic food, and the indigenous population: they almost become icons. These images, shown worldwide in the media, are the source and starting point for my project. I do not registrate what the world throws at my feet; instead I reinterpret the world from my individual insight. Photography enables me to visit distant worlds and gather souvenirs of a journey that has never been made. The journey emerged merely by imagination, because the collective has been there before.

BP: What fascinates / inspires you?
LvdP: Everyday subjects fascinate me, simply because people seem to stop noticing them. I challenge myself to take an everyday subject, such as a cat or a dishtowel, to recreate it into an image that intrigues and fascinates. By creating compositions of everyday occurrences, and by highlighting the beauty of it, I want to offer people the possibility to be surprised by them again.

BP: Who is your favorite designer/artist/photographer?
LvdP: Anuschka Blommers & Niels Schumm and Lernert & Sander

BP: Did you always wanted to be a photographer?
LvdP: Actually yes, photography was always the only thing I wanted to do since I was young.

BP: What do you like the most in photography?
LvdP: What I like about creating an image is that a new reality comes to life. My reality, in which I have complete control. I consider photography as a redesigned life, one that may have existed.

BP: What is your dream now that you have graduated?
LvdP: What are your plans for the future? I guess it's impossible to plan your future in photography, but I hope to exhibit my work in different ways and in different spaces combined with work for independent art- and fashion magazines.

Take a look at her graduation project ‘Souvenir’









No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...