Tuesday 12 July 2016

MAFAD Graduation Show 2016

Maarten van Mulken

MAFAD Graduation Show featured only five graduates but all of them presented interesting collections, in fact some of them where among the highlight of the FASHIONCLASH Festival 2016. Maarten van Mulken and Domino Vugts where both finalists at the Lichting Show.

Maarten van Mulken aims to challange the wearer to think and not just consume. He drew inspiration from the ‘autarkic egos’ of people, the term invented by philosopher Ayn Rand who states that someone who holds an idea doesn’t change that to please other people. It’s a person who makes his own rational choices and thinks before he acts.

' I try to let my designs embody an idea, shaped into a form that clashes two worlds. On one hand it’s clothing that is well crafted, and on the other, it brings a statement that should raise questions with the audience about how they make their decisions in buying clothes. They cannot just be beautiful pieces of clothing, they have to give the viewer something to think about.' 
With my collection I wanted to transform opinions people have towards consumption. I wanted to create my own resistance army of aggressive women that embody this idea. They choose for themselves and will not yield their ideas to anybody. At the start of my design process I cut up a lot of army clothing and rearranged it in a new order to show the ridiculousness of how fashion makes clothing that’s rather impractical to wear. I chose army clothing for multiple reasons, but mostly because army clothing is practical and by cutting it up the practical side gets lost. From that point on, I wanted to work with patterns that save fabric in cutting, but because of that you lose even more fabric in a piece of clothing. Normally making patterns for garments produces a lot of wasted fabric, in my collection I instead create patterns that use the whole width of the fabric, which does not allow for waste. However, the design keeps all the lost fabric on the body, so in the end much more fabric is used compared to a conventional way of construction. This could trigger the audience to question their views on overconsumption in fashion.'

Domino Vugts aimed to design a women's collection with elements from Formula 1 racing aesthetic. 'I see Formula 1 as a very cool, powerful and high speed sport, but also as a field which is still dominated by men. Currently there are no female drivers in the Formula 1 racing teams. I find this shocking. I believe that women are fully empowered to work in every field they want so it makes me sad to see the opposite. In this racing sport men are seen as winners and heroes whereas women are seen as sensual objects. I believe this has to change! Women are not mere decoration; women are individuals with visions, focus and strength. My collection reflects what I think women could be, if they dare. I playfully want to challenge women to step out of their comfort zone and dare to be the heroines and winners I know they are. She who dares, wins.' 

Ilona Simons presented a promising menswear proposal with her collection 'I am I man', Mia Wolff Metternich presented a collection based on textile design and Victoria Keller melted the hearts of the audience with a kids collection, not only with adorable models but also with a good collection.

www.mafad.nl

All images by brankopopovicblog



Maarten van Mulken

Maarten van Mulken

Domino Vugts

Domino Vugts

Domino Vugts

Domino Vugts

Mia Wolff Metternich

Ilona Simons

Ilona Simons

Ilona Simons

Ilona Simons

Ilona Simons

Victoria Keller

Victoria Keller

Victoria Keller

Victoria Keller

No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...